Monday 29 December 2014

Seoul 2014: Day 1 (Changi International Airport - Incheon International Airport 인천국제공항 - Seoul Station 서울역 - K-POP Residence Seoul Tower 케이팝 레지던스 서울타워)

Hey there! Thanks for all the views from the previous posts, it really keeps me motivated to keep writing and sharing all the travel experiences I had with you guys!

This is a continuation from my previous post Seoul 2014: Introduction (Planning Your Holiday with Travel Tips and Advice - Solo Travelling)

Now that we've got all that planning out of the way, its time to actually begin talking about the trip!

My flight was at around 1.50pm in the afternoon so I headed to check-in at 11.50am at Changi Airport! My sweet brother offered to accompany me and make his own way home since everyone else was busy and working. There was a really long queue (Scoot doesn't have online check-ins) but with swift service and many open counters, it cleared pretty fast!

The photo taken by my brother for me just before I entered the Departure gates at Terminal 2!

I decided to enter a little earlier rather than at the last minute because budget airlines are prone to gate changes and delays, or any other form of hiccups.

*SOLO TRAVEL TIPS:

Going in earlier would ensure I would be well prepared and ready to adjust to any possible changes without getting a shock and having to run from one end to the other of the plane terminal
(Had that experience twice before - NOT FUN!)

Near to where my gate was, I came across a chill-out corner with cushy, laid-back chairs and TV screens. Since my gate was yet open, I decided to take some time out to relax as well for the long journey ahead (this would include a 5 hour flight, 1 hour layover and another 2 hour flight).

"Police and Thief" (a local sitcom shot a couple years back) was on Channel 5 at the time.
A secluded, dimly-lit, relaxing area away from the hustle and bustle from travellers shuttling to and from the gates. A great place to relax your feet and enjoy some quiet time.
The area to the right of where I was sitting. An entire family was relaxing on the reclined chairs.
The area to the left of where I was had full-body length chairs for travellers to lie down in complete relaxation and catch some shut-eye (since there are no TVs there).
*SOLO TRAVEL TIPS:
  • When travelling alone, always remember to keep an eye on the time! Bear in mind that there isn't anyone who will alert you that its time to go anywhere. 
  • Time your own toilet breaks and walking/shopping time at duty free. 
  • Give yourself ample time to take a leisurely pace as well. 
  • Keep a close eye on your belongings especially when you head to toilets, chill-out areas.

*IN-FLIGHT SOLO TRAVEL TIPS: 
  • Be cautious about putting all your valuables up in the overhead compartments, especially if you're the kind that tends to fall asleep. There have been incidences of theft from overhead compartments while passengers were sleeping.
  • Always bring a pen: chances are there will always be immigration/customs declaration forms
                                         to fill up and a pen will always be your lifesaver and time-saver.

It was raining that afternoon as our flight was departing Singapore.
My Scoot seating area. I'm a window-seat gal. Why? I don't need to frequent the loo while on board and I have short legs so the room space is just nice for me.
Besides, window seats will ensure I get to take such up-in-the-sky photos!
Catching the sunset upon our descent into Taoyuan, Taiwan where we had our layover.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was very lucky to have been able to sit next to these 2 Singaporean girls my age who were heading to Korea too! (One of them had blue hair!)

IF YOU GIRLS EVER HAPPEN TO SEE THIS: THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I realised I'm such a scatterbrain that I forgot to ask for your names.


They were really friendly and nice, and looked out for me because I informed them that I had to rush to catch the last midnight bus from Incheon Airport to Seoul and they allowed me to join them in the quicker immigration queue which saved me so much time and allowed me to hop on the bus in time!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a note to anyone out there who is taking Scoot flights to Tokyo or Korea which transit in Taiwan, there are ALWAYS delays. If it isn't a plane fault, a busy runway, it will be passengers who can't get back on the flight and hold everyone up, creating a chain effect of delays and disrupting everyone's timings.
Not to mention the fact that Scoot flights land at rather terrible timings in these 2 locations.

So always remember to come up with back-up plans for your transportation options just in case the inevitable happens.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*IMPORTANT SOLO TRAVEL TIP:
  • Let it be at your discretion whether or not you want to tell people if you are travelling alone, although my advice is not to tell anyone or to keep it at a minimum (otherwise you'll be an easy target for robbery, theft, rape, and whatever other crime you can think of).
  • If it is hard to hide the fact that you are travelling alone, tell the person asking that you have arranged to meet a friend at your destination of arrival (whether or not that is the truth).
  • If possible, do try to be discreet about it, and ensure you are always contactable especially if you do not have a friend picking you up.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upon alighting from the plane, you'll have to walk a really long journey to the airport train (which takes you from the airport gates to the main immigration area. Be vigilant about your belongings (it is a hectic and mad rush down because everyone wants to clear through the immigrations counter as fast as possible).

Tech-ies, be assured too that Incheon Airport 인천국제공항 has high-speed wifi available for everyone in it! Solo travellers, take the opportunity to Whatsapp, Line, Kakaotalk or FaceBook Message your family members or friends that you have landed in Korea safe and sound!

With all the disasters happening this year, I'm sure all our family and friends are worried when any of us have to take any flights or carry out any travel plans. So we can all do our part to set their mind at ease by informing them that we have arrived safely at our destination.

Waiting for the airport train to head to the main immigration area.
After clearing the immigration area, head down the escalator to get your luggage(s)!

DID YOU KNOW?
  • Incheon Airport's baggage handling system is designed to process 31,000 pieces of luggage an hour by using a centralised computer-controlled, automated tilt-tray system, that sorts pieces of luggage with barcode readers. That's PRETTY IMPRESSIVE!
  • Incheon International Airport 인천국제공항 also claims that it has only a 0.0001% baggage mishandling rate! That's just downright amazing! Travellers can head there with an ease of mind!

Once you get your luggage matters sorted, there's just transport to be worried about!

My accommodation was located near to Seoul Station 서울역 (and honestly at 11.57pm) there was nothing left except the Late Night Airport Bus for me to take.


If you're wondering why I didn't use the AREX train, its because
  •  I don't have any experience using it thus I was afraid of getting lost as well.
    (The last train is the same time as the last bus - 12 midnight - so I didn't have much time to spare getting around)
  • The bus stations are right in front upon exiting the airport. The AREX train is down the escalator and a long walk away (TIME CONSTRAINTS)!

If you're lost, there are airport staff around who can speak English that can help direct you around!

My late night bus journey cost me KRW9000 and the driver was friendly and helpful! Stow your baggage at the bottom of the bus (number stickers will be put on them so that you can identify them). The seats were comfortable enough and much as the driver drove really fast, you really felt safe in their experienced hands!

I sat on the seat right in front so that I could have a clear look of where the bus arrived at. It was 4 stops to Seoul Station 서울역 from Incheon International Airport 인천국제공항.
This is the entrance of the bus
.

Although I was really tired, I was so excited to be in Korea again that I was busy looking at all the buildings and scenery that we passed, as well as reading as many Korean signs as I could! Before I left Incheon International Airport, I informed my friend that I would be arriving in Seoul 서울 at 1.10am on the late night bus where he would pick me up.

Seoul Station 서울역 is the last stop for the late night bus and the signs are so big, you'll never miss it or forget to get off (since everyone is getting off). Using Seoul Station's wifi (which is only available at certain spots in the station - I literally mean spots and not areas - I could take a step away and lose my wifi connection), I texted my friend that I had arrived!

I was so glad to see my friend because I was dead exhausted from the journey (plus we hadn't seen each other in a long time). Another reason was that there was now someone else to look after me and my things as he took me to the accommodation booked!
I felt really bad, but he helped to carry my heavy luggage up and down the underground stairs as we headed to the accommodation!

Where did I stay at? K-POP RESIDENCE SEOUL TOWER

K-POP Residence Seoul Tower| 케이팝 레지던스 서울타워
211, Namchang-dong, Jung-gu, 100-806 Seoul, South Korea|서울, 남창동 211, 100-806, 대한민국
Telephone: 02 778 3665 | Website: http://en.kpophouse.co.kr/

This hotel is literally so new that you can smell it upon entering. Its so new that it isn't even put up on the official website yet (or rather it is labelled as coming soon, when it is already kind of open for business). The location is not too bad, and the service of the staff are really good!
It is small though, like really small. O-kay for one person. If you're expecting a regular sized hotel room, DON'T! This isn't a hotel!
The bed! You know how I said everything was so new? The bed was so new that it was rock hard!
Abnormal Summit was on TV! The TV is almost literally at the end of the bed (to give you an estimate of the room size).
A room window with layered windows to ensure you're kept warm! Its pretty good! Some hotels I've been in have no windows that you can't tell what time of the day it is!
Sorry about the blur photo! This is pretty much what the toilet is. When you open the door, the toilet bowl is there. Next to it is the sink, and above the sink, the shower head.


That was all the photos I took before I took a shower and called it a night!

Stay tuned to the next entry for my Day 2 travels to Insadong and the Seoul Lantern Festival at Cheonggyecheon!

Till then,

Fly Safe and Eat Happy,
V

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm taking Scoot's flight to Seoul as well during end March. May I ask if Scoot will provide declaration forms for us or do we have to get it from the airport? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole! Yes Scoot does provide the declaration forms for you! Remember to take note of the name of your accommodation and such as you have to include those details in your declaration form!
      Some passengers on my flight sitting nearer the back of the plane were quite unlucky as they were told that there weren't any forms left! That should probably be a one-off thing though.

      Delete